The movie is released.
The hype lives up to its expectations.
I thoroughly enjoyed it in 3D.
Our kids and my husband loved it too.
There were times when it seemed like the characters where actually in the movie theater, not on screen.
I watched Black Panther with African eyes. Literally.
I am a black woman, an African in New York born in England to Nigerian parents. Even though the movie is fiction, it has elements of truth.
The movie touched political, social, cultural issues.
- The famous mask from Benin (Edo tribe of Nigeria)
- Sambisa forest. If you recall, it is in Northern Nigeria associated with the kidnapping of 276 Chibok school girls in 2014.
- African rituals, traditional powers and native medicine.
- “Vibranium,” cultural phenomenon.
- Female warriors. There are lots of female warriors in the continent of Africa. Our second daughter is named after a very famous one.
- The imperative need to bridge a massive cultural gap.
My favorite character was General Okoye played by the beautiful Danai Gurira.
Image: Marvel Studios | Click here for Danai Gurira’s interview on NPR
I loved her poise, style, dedication and service. She was determined to serve her country and protect her king – a smart, fit, astute leader of the special forces, a protector who couldn’t be caught unawares.
My favorite line in the movie?
When the king said: “I am not king of everyone. I am king of Wakanda.”
If you have been reading my posts for a while or following me on social media, you will know that I often talk about personal branding, the importance of authenticity and identifying your audience.
That particular statement was a personal branding moment. I talk more about assignments and authenticity in my latest book, Assigned and you can get it on Amazon.com or anywhere books are sold.
Should you watch Black Panther?
Yes, it is a great movie. If you haven’t seen it yet and wondering if you should, I say go for it. Don’t hesitate. I deliberately didn’t go into details about the movie because I don’t want to spoil it for you if you haven’t seen it yet.
Have you seen Black Panther? Who’s your favorite character and why?